Resources on Healthcare Disparities and Undoing Racism and Oppression in Healthcare and the Delivery of Healthcare
- Transcript (PDF) from “When the Bough Breaks” a film segment that examines the mystery of the Black-white infant mortality gap from the film series “Unnatural Causes: Is Inequality Making Us Sick?
- Dr. Camara Jones describes three kinds of racism
- “Undoing Racism in Public Health: A Blueprint for Action in Urban Maternal and Child Health”(PDF)
- Segment excerpt from “When the Bough Breaks” – Kim Anderson’s story
- Segment excerpt from “When the Bough Breaks”: Unraveling the mystery of Black-white differences in infant mortality
- Video Clips and Information about the Series: Un-Natural Causes…Is Inequality Making Us Sick?
- Links to several videos compiled by creators of the website for Race: The Power of an Illusion
Resources on LGBT Healthcare Concerns and Disparities
- The Institute of Medicine’s first ever LGBT Health Report (PDF)
- Training programs designed to educate and bring awareness to health care providers about lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LBT) health care needs.
- LGBT Caregiver Fact Sheet for Providers (PDF)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections in Women who have Sex with Women: A Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers (PDF)
- Transgender Health Fact Sheet (PDF)
For a wealth of additional information related to this topic, visit the following RESOURCES PAGE, which is divided into the following topics:
- Racism 101
- White Privilege 101
- Impact of Racism & Oppression on Birth Outcomes
- Racism in Midwifery
- Multicultural Midwifery History
- Intersections of Race, Gender, Class
- For Activists
- For Clinicians
- –> LGBT Healthcare
- For Educators
- How to Be an Ally
- Talking With Children
For the edition of the “Giving Birth to Midwives” Newsletter devoted to issues of equity and inclusivity in the midwifery profession, read the October 2012 AME (Association of Midwifery Educators) Newsletter.
(Thanks to the Midwives’ Association of Washington State for providing this content.)